about my journey to a healthier me?
Yeah, that got put on hold after becoming pregnant.
And now it's back.
We are starting another "Healthy Habits" challenge with the Kitto family. We did one back in 2010, and the results were awesome. Basically you get points for eating right, going to bed early, and exercising daily. On top of that you get extra points for your total % weight loss.
We've been going for almost 2 weeks now. I'm feeling good, and I can tell my body is grateful. I've really made an effort to get outside and get moving! I've been taking long walks, jogging, trying new classes, taking ballet, and bike riding. I'm also really trying to make good food choices. And I'll be honest, imagining myself looking good in a swimsuit on the beach is helping, a lot. hahaha! You'll understand if you know my family!
So, to back up a bit,
Within the past 6 months or so I have really felt guided to books, films, blogs, and people
that have ignited the "change" fire in me.
I feel so strongly that the foods we eat are so much more important than we think.
Growing up you just don't really think about what you eat, at least I didn't.
Luckily my mom did a great job of feeding us good, wholesome foods.
But we still ate junk.
Have you every heard of the EAT TO LIVE program?
Mike and I bought the book and are getting really excited about making permanent changes in our diets.
Mike works with 2 men who have been on the program for several weeks
and are seeing incredible health results as well as remarkable weight loss.
Reading a book is great, but knowing someone who has succeeded makes is even more motivating.
Basically we are striving to eat mostly whole, natural, plant foods.
His formula is that Health = Nutrient/Calorie
The goal is to eat primarily nutrient dense the food.
LOTS of raw and lightly steamed veggies.
LOTS of fresh fruit.
Beans, nuts, seeds, and whole, unrefined grains.
Not much meat, dairy, or refined carbohydrates, oil, or sugar.
Pretty much you eat food the way God made it.
Mostly plants, with just a little (or no) animal food.
The book is basically another supporter of The Word of Wisdom,
which makes me even more excited about it.
We are still reading the book, but I will keep updating on how it's going for us!


Great post Rach!!
ReplyDeleteTo continue the conversation…
Whenever I am learning about the Word of Wisdom (WofW) in a Sunday school class I think the focus is on:
"...inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father," and "tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man," which is a great thing to focus on because those things can be very addictive and can bring a lot of pain to families.
But I also feel that there needs be a better focus on the higher law of the WofW, "...all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."
I think there are a lot of health problems that could be fixed if we followed the higher law of the WofW. I also do not think we should shy away from the word “sparingly” when referring to using animal's meat. I know that the lord is all knowing and that this revelation is meant for us now in our time and not just in the year it was given. I feel that if we lived the entire WofW these following blessing would be giving a lot more freely...
"18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen." -D&C 89.
Thanks babe! Good thoughts!
ReplyDeletethat's the book i've been trying to remember!! i've always felt the same way about the word of wisdom being a great guide on how to eat, and i heard of this book about 2 years ago, and then forgot what it was called and haven't been able to remember... oh i'm so thrilled you posted this! please keep posting how it's going for you, because it really does help to know real stories from people you know, not just the words on the back of the book. yay!!
ReplyDelete