Thursday, May 24, 2012

Green Smoothies: My Favorite Recipe

I don't think it's a secret that we've been on a green smoothie kick lately. 

Image Source
For Christmas we purchased a Blendtec Total Blender, and it is seriously the best thing ever. 
Mike and I say that it often seems pointless to get Christmas presents because 
a month later we hardly even remember where the Christmas Fund went. 
But not this year! We will always remember this gift! 
Okay moving on. 


Along with purchasing a Blendtec, we also received and bought a few "Green" books to add to our library of Whole Foods, Clean Eating, Plant-Based eating books. They include:


I am currently reading Eat to Live and I am loving it. It makes the most sense to me of all of them, and it has the clearest plan to follow. You can see the basic guidelines in this previous post:

We are still reading the book its entirety but we have already started making changes. As a part of those changes we have been having green smoothies every morning (and sometimes in the evening too). 

And this is my favorite made-up recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
-Lots of greens! (I usually switch between Kale, Spinach, Chard, and Collard Greens)
-Water
-2 Bananas
-Frozen Tropical Fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple, strawberries: I buy Costco's Festival Blend for about $9/huge bag)
-Frozen Blueberries
-Coconut Milk 
-Organic Ground Flaxseed
-Organic Agave Nectar

DIRECTIONS (makes about 32-40 oz)
1. Fill the blender with greens and add about 3 cups of water (enough water to blend easily)
2. Pulse a couple times and then select Whole Juice (or just blend them up on high speed)
3. After the greens are blended, add the rest in the following order: 
    -Bananas
    -Frozen Fruit (about 2 cups) 
    -Frozen Blueberries (1/2 cup)
    -Ground Flaxseed (about 1 tablespoon)
    -Agave Nectar (to taste) 
    -Coconut Milk (1/2 to 1 cup) 
4. Select Smoothie (or blend for about 25-30 seconds)  

**for a more tropical tasting smoothie add less water and more coconut milk. Another great variation is to add Simply Orange Juice instead of coconut milk. 

As a result of all these green smoothies and salads we are using A LOT of greens! 
Which leads into tomorrow's post about . . . 

 THE BEST WAY TO STORE GREENS 

See you tomorrow!
Today is my sister Hannah's high school graduation! 

1 comment:

  1. cool! we do that same recipe except for greek yogurt instead of coconut milk. its super yummy! sometimes I add a little organic PB to it if i am in need of some extra good calories. I wish I had a blendtec SO bad. my sis and parents have one and I saw them on sale last Christmas and did not jump on the opportunity!! BAH! lesson learned. cant wait for tomorrows post! I definitely need help in that area.

    ReplyDelete