Thursday, May 03, 2012

It's a No-Win

I've decided that pretty much everything is linked to cancer or some sort of serious disease. 
Seriously, EVERYTHING.
The more I try to make healthier decisions, the more overwhelmed I become.
I find yet another study, finding, or medical journal about something else I should be worried about.
It's exhausting and really discouraging. 



It's like trying to fight a battle that you've already lost.  

There's just no possible way to avoid it all. 

Take today, for example.
I decided not to use sunscreen because it's linked to cancer,
so instead I ended up with a bad sunburn. 
Which is worse? Sunscreen or a bad sunburn? 
I don't know, and it gives me major anxiety worrying about it.

Same goes for organic/inorganic food.
And amalgam fillings (luckily I don't have any).
And diary products.
And sugar.
And hairdryers.
And deodorant.
And vaccinations.
And the list goes on forever.
Heck, even the air we breathe is contaminated.

So, I'm giving myself 3 options:

1. Die (not the ideal choice)

2. Live while feeling overwhelmed and anxious all the time due to the never-ending "findings" and "studies" proving "this" and "that" are linked to all sorts of diseases. 

3. Live while trying to do what I can to avoid and prevent the "inevitable" and trying to remember that God is in control. 

You can't live every day worried about tomorrow. 
Just do the best you can today.
Make good decisions.
Do something nice for someone else. 
Feed your body good food.
Laugh and enjoy life.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I have felt the same way not to long ago too!! It seems like no matter what you read and feel good about someone has written something else that is contradicting. I had to take a step back and realize that a lot of these studies, although "scientific" their views are very skewed as well. You have to look at who funded the studies and look at their study group as well. I have always been surprised at how narrow these "studies" actually are.

    I had cancer as a kid and they were never able to tell my parents what really caused it or what I could have done to prevent it. Yes, things cause cancer but remember that life is so wonderful! :)

    Let go and let God!!!

    Feed your body as much healthy and natural food as possible. And my favorite...NEVER forget that sugar is good for the body too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... every now and then I find myself worrying a bit too much about environmental factors and health. I want to be able to protect Vivian from all of the harmful chemicals! It's hard to ignore all the information the world throws at you-- but honestly, I also find it hard to believe most sources completely. There's almost never one without some ulterior motive.

    As you know, I had cancer. But I don't believe it was caused by anything I did or failed to do. Thyroid disease is so prevalent in my family-- one of my siblings had to get it! I guess it was just me this time. I know I needed to learn from it. I believe that there are definitely people who either will or will not succumb to serious illness based on their choices, but I also believe the far greater percentage of people who get some type of serious illness will get it b/c it's God's will for them and they need to go through it. That's just my two cents.

    (I also have to say that I think sunburns are way worse for you than any sunscreen is. I have yet to find a persuasive source to convince me that sunscreen is really harmful. Stay pale!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, I was just dealing with these same feelings a couple of weeks ago. I was getting so discouraged because I didn't feel like I could do everything and stay away from everything and keep my kids away from everything that could cause some kind of disease or illness of some sort. I was getting really depressed and it was really getting to me. I felt like, to try to stay away from all chemicals, pesticides, and everything else that they all say is bad for you, I'd have to go hide myself in the middle of nowhere and have a money tree to pay for everything to escape it all. Then a couple of weeks ago in Stake conference I had a very distinct impression that I need to relax and just do the best that I can and remember the Word of Wisdom and that I need to listen to God and not those others who are preaching conflicting ideas and opinions. Because really, you can find a study on anything you want to prove whatever you want (seriously, there are studies that say that marijuana is good for you). So everyday I try to eat as best I can and feed my kids the best I can, but I need to not fret over having a piece of cheese or eating a cupcake at my daughters first birthday party. Because if I start getting all worked up about it I start losing all the fun in life. I guess what I'm trying to say is, (and what the others have said), is just do the best you can do. Seek personal guidance for you and your family from Heavenly Father and be positive and realistic. Love you Rach and I love keeping up with you and your blog!!

    ReplyDelete