Friday, June 22, 2012

Our current Netflix instant queue

I  mentioned  in one of my last posts that lately I have so much to say about food. My desire to learn and  implement permanent changes in the way we eat still occupies many most of my daily thoughts. As silly as it sounds, I have felt like this health journey is going to be one of the most fulfilling and worthwhile endeavors I will have, and I think it is going to be a very significant part of my life (and my family's of course).

If you haven't seen these, watch them. 
All of them.




Each time I find (or re-watch/read) a book, film, or blog that is based on a whole, natural, 95% plant based diet, it's like a heavenly witness that God truly is all-knowing, and all-loving. He has blessed His children with incredible physical bodies that have amazing capabilities. And He has also blessed us with all the substances our bodies need to be healthy. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that we can live long, vibrant, healthy, disease-free, lives. 

We all think we need to have nutritionists and doctors tell us what to eat. 
I just cannot believe healthy eating is that complicated. 

But it actually is, for most of us, because society, our government, and our individual family traditions have engraved in us certain beliefs. And questioning those beliefs is really uncomfortable for a lot of us. Most of the time we say. . . 

oh that sounds good, but that's not for me
my doctor said ______ is good for me
that film is biased
you only live once, why not enjoy it
that's too hard, I could never eat that way 
I've eaten ______ my whole life, I'm not giving it up now
my ________ ate _______ and lived till they were 90

You get the picture. 
Why are we so defensive? 
Shouldn't we jump on the chance to be healthier?
Don't we want to live longer, disease-free lives? 

But the idea of change most always makes us immediately defensive of our ways. 

Change is hard, isn't it?  When we've all grown up accustomed to a certain way of eating, it's really hard to change. Old habits die hard. This journey is overwhelming at times. I feel like I don't know very much. But, at the same time, I think we all already know a lot more than we think we do, because eating whole, natural plant-foods JUST. MAKES. SENSE.

So, as each day passes and I learn a little more about why I'm trying so hard to eat better, I'm willing to be patient, and to do what it takes to make these changes permanent. This is a learning process, and not an item to check off on my "to-do" list. 

We only get one body, and one life. 
I, for one, want to make them count.

2 comments:

  1. I watched "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" and really liked it. I was amazed by the results of his not needing prescription drugs any more. That's so awesome and like you said, it just makes sense. It's made me think even more about what I'm putting in my body. And I'm craving more fruits and veggies. Do you just have a blender or do you have a juicer too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maria! I liked that one too. We have a juicer as well as a blender, but I don't use it as much as the blender. It's just really hard to clean and takes up a lot of counter space (which we don't have right now). But I really do want to use it more.

      Delete