This past week was the longest week of my life. I have so much I'd like to write about, but Curtis is finally asleep, and I don't want to spend all of my alone time blogging.
We have officially moved out of our apartment. Leaving our apartment was so hard for me. We had so many wonderful memories there, and I still get a lump in my throat when I think about it. I'm really going to miss it there. I shed many tears during the few days of moving. It was our first "real" home. It was Curtis' first home. And we worked so hard to make it home. As hard as it was to leave, if I constantly remind myself that bigger and better things are on the horizon I feel a little better. Not much better, but a little.
Now we are settled in with my parents. It still just feels like we'll go home any day. Things are working out so far. We have two bedrooms and a bathroom all to ourselves, with laundry just down the hall. We really couldn't ask for anything more. We've made them feel like home the best we can. I haven't had to cook a meal all week, so honestly I should really be shouting for joy!
Curtis is giving us a run for our money. Right before our beach trip he learned, again, how to escape from the crib. That was basically the beginning of the end of our perfect sleeper boy. From the time Curtis was 10 weeks old he was sleeping 10-12 hours a night, and taking a 2-3 hour nap each day. All of a sudden that has completely changed. He wakes up at least 2 times a night and comes into our room every night. One night during our beach trip I let him sleep with us (for the first time ever) because he was having night terrors. Worst idea ever. He now tries to get in bed with us every single night. Naps have become the biggest struggle ever, and I'm having a really hard time. His nap time was the only "alone" time I'd have all day, and I guess I just took them for granted because now they are gone.
I'm hoping someone will tell me this is a 2-year old phase and that soon he'll go back to taking his naps....
I started teaching at BYU again. It was a very last minute opportunity, but it was definitely an answer to prayers. I love being back there, and I have a great group of students this semester. However it has been really hard for me to adjust to teaching every day after being a stay-at-home mom for the past year. I'm grateful to get out of the house each day, but my classes are at the worst possible time ever because they are right during Curtis' nap time (2-4pm). So, even when he does take a nap, I am working and therefore have ZERO alone time during the day. Needless to say this has been one of the longest, hardest, weeks of my life. I'm trying hard to fight the anxiety and dread that I feel each day when I wake up. I was so looking forward to this time when Mike was home after work at 5 and we'd have each evening to spend as a family. But when he gets home I'm just so done with my day, and so tired, that I don't feel like doing anything. Moms who work full-time, I don't know how you do it!
On top of everything we just had miscarriage #3. I debated writing about it, but hey, after writing about 2 others, what's one more? I was only 5 weeks along, and we had only told a couple of people we were pregnant, so it wasn't nearly as difficult as the last one at 16 weeks, but I am completely drained in every way. I'm trying my best to find hope and to have faith that things will work out, but I'll tell you what, most of the time all I feel is emptiness. I don't feel sad, I don't feel angry, I just feel empty, and so very tired. After 3 miscarriages you have "repeat miscarriages" on your record, which means you're able to get testing done. However, I had the blood work done last week and everything came back normal. No answers. So frustrating. We will try progesterone when we conceive next time, but other than that there's not really anything to do about it. The hardest part of all of this not having control. It is so hard to know that this is completely out of my hands.
Please, friends, keep us in your prayers. And please, if you have any advice as to how to get a 2-year old to take naps and stay in his bed all night, let me know. I'm desperate.
Oh Rachel I'm so sorry for all these trials piling up on you right now :( It's never fun to go through many changes and have a physical loss like this on top of it all. Hang in there and stay close to your husband, son, and the Lord. They will strengthen you and help you see how much you have to be grateful for. Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks Robyn!
DeleteSo sorry, Rachel. My heart is breaking for you. I know it will all work out eventually, but that doesn't mean the pain isn't real. Deep breaths, lots of prayers, and a reminder that you are amazing. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteThanks Robin. It's definitely hard to be patient! Hope teaching is going well for you!
DeleteI'm so sorry Rachel and I totally agree with what has already been said. Just know that I am thinking of you and praying for you!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I think that the two year old sleep thing thing is totally a phase. Soon after Preston turned two he started taking an hour or more to fall asleep! He would jump and play and yell and sing. He wouldn't cry, but he just wouldn't sleep at night. At first I thought it was because he was ready to drop his nap (NOOOOO!!!!) but then I read this: http://www.babywisemom.com/2009/07/2-year-old-sleep-problems.html and figured it was just a phase. Sure enough, a month or so later he went back to normal. There are also the two-year molars that have caused some sleep issues the other week. Once he cut the molar he went back to sleeping normal.
Preston isn't quite smart enough to figure out he can get out of his crib ;) so we didn't have to worry about that . . . yet. But I've heard of people putting the mattress all the way on the floor (probably depends on the style of the crib if that will work without there being any space for them to get out caught in) and I've also heard of people using crib tents before (like this one: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775). Just some options to help keep him in his crib until he is old enough to understand sleep boundaries. However, I just read on one of my friends blogs that she took the opposite approach with her two year old that was doing the same thing as Curtis and moved her to a toddler bed, and it worked.Hope that helps!
Thanks Elizabeth! I'll check out that babywisemom blog! We actually just moved Curtis to a twin bed when we moved, so I think that has added to the sleeping issues. Hoping it gets better soon!
Deleteoh crap. im so so sorry. i know how you feel in so many ways and i am so sorry about that. the progesterone makes you sleepy. just a warning. it makes you feel "lazy". Everyone I talk to that has taken it, including myself, would agree. So if you feel weird, that may be why. Also, Cason has had a handful of night terrors and I found that when I put him to bed earlier, sometimes as early as 645 or 7 then he is ok. Im sorry Curtis is having a hard time with that. you may try mybabysleepguide.com it literally saved me a few times in the past. Good luck. I hope my fertility blog helps in one way or another.
ReplyDeleteKelly, your blog has definitely helped! I admire your patience so much. And thanks for the heads up on the progesterone.
DeleteI tried putting Curt down earlier this week and it has seemed to help some! Thank you!
I'm so sorry for you Rachel. You are such a strong amazing mother. I love you and I'm keeping you in my prayers. If you ever need a babysitter just let me know.
ReplyDeleteLove you too Treg! We need a girls night soon.
DeleteRachel... so sorry. Miscarriages suck! I had three as well. What worked for me(it may not for you) was baby aspirin. I know there are varying opinions about it but, since using it I have had two healthy pregnancies and no miscarriages.
ReplyDeleteThanks Chalece, I had no idea you'd had 3 as well. It's always comforting to know others have been through similar things. I have heard about the baby aspirin too, and I might give that a try as well. Hope things are going well for you!
DeleteRachel, It has been too long! I am not very consistent with blog reading even with family members but I went on a rampage today and I'm so glad! I just wanted to say that I love you and am thinking of you. What a rough combination of factors...seriously my heart goes out to you. Especially since Lilia is SO energetic I know what a nap means to sanity. I don't have any great advice with the toddler sleeping or miscarriage but I know what you mean about emptiness.
ReplyDeleteThe other day when I was having an difficult time my sister gave me the suggestion of starting a gratitude journal. Just thinking of a few simple things has helped me shed some of the numbness I was feeling. Love you dearly!
Love you Holly! And I miss you! The next time you are in UT please let me know! I'd love to see you!
DeleteI love the idea of the gratitude journal. I need to start doing that. I started reading Pat Holland's book, A Quiet Heart, and it has really helped me feel peaceful and hopeful.
How are you?!