The terrible twos are in full force over here, and I'm not sure I'm going to make it through them.
Someday I'm sure I'll look back at these times with some humor and a bit of sentimental longing,
but that day is NOT today.
I love Curtis more than life itself, and I can't imagine not having him,
but he is testing me more than I ever imagined I could possibly be tested.
(and life hasn't exactly been easy lately)
I try to tell myself I'm doing the right things.
I try to be consistent.
I try to set boundaries.
I try to discipline immediately and rationally.
I try to give him choices.
I try to be patient.
But most of the time I pretty much fail as a mother.
It doesn't matter if I respond firmly, gently,
or if I ignore his screaming fits.
It doesn't matter if I take him to time out and talk to him.
No matter what I do, or how I respond, it honestly makes no difference.
It doesn't matter if I respond firmly, gently,
or if I ignore his screaming fits.
It doesn't matter if I take him to time out and talk to him.
No matter what I do, or how I respond, it honestly makes no difference.
If this boy doesn't stop crying, screaming, and whining
ALL DAY LONG
I think I'm quite literally going to lose it.
Someone please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel,
cause I'm not seeing it.
I'm sorry!
ReplyDeleteThere is light! Warren went through that phase too. And some days he still acts out like that. It's really REALLY hard to be in the middle of it and not know what else to do when you feel like you've exhausted ALL other options. I'm sure you're an amazing mother! Don't beat yourself up, the fact that you care so much and have tried everything means that you ARE a great momma.
I'm gonna tell you this because someone suggested it to me, but during those days I tried to spend an extra amount of 1 on 1 time with Warren and did whatever he wanted to do and made sure I was 100% present when I was with him. It helped. Sometimes they act out so much because they want attention. (Not saying you don't give him attention:) This has just been my experience. Sometimes they need a little extra cuddle or love. I always make sure (or at least try) to take him outside and go on a walk or to the park, when he starts getting cranky. (But somedays you just don't have the energy!)
Warren also gets super that way when he has ear infections. I know things are easier said than done, but YOU CAN DO IT!!
Ah, some days/weeks/months are so hard. I don't know if you remember me ever talking about the wonder weeks on my blog (if not, google wonder weeks), but even though they only have them documented for the first 18 months of life the person who developed and researched the theory says that they keep happening throughout childhood. When the babies are going through a wonder "week" (which sometimes lasts for over a month) they are clingy, cry and need a lot of attention. Then over a couple days they come out of it and go back to being themselves BUT because of their new intellectual leap they have a bunch of new developmental skills that emerge. Since I know when and what to look for it has been pretty crazy to watch with both kids.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, the reason I bring this up is that a month or so ago Preston was driving me NUTS. He was so needy and whiny and clinging and constantly testing his limits. Then suddenly he mellowed out, and not only that, but he started identifying shapes and letters and talking in more full and complete sentences, he could sing entire songs, he started galloping and jumping off things. SOOO my theory is that there must have been a wonder week/month that he was going through and I wonder if Curtis is doing the same thing?
Anyway, I totally feel you and even though I am right there with you (or just a couple months ahead) I am pretty sure it gets better :)
You don't fail as a mother!! I promise! You are a fabulous one. It's never easy dealing with crying kids but they are also learning just like you. I have heard that boys at this age are harder than girls but that the girls make up for it in their teenage years. One thing that I try to do instead of putting the kid in time out, I take a time out. Everything that gets destroyed can wait. I mean what really matters is Curtis's well being, not the house or the things in it. I find when my kids are acting up it's because I haven't been paying enough attention to them as an individual. -insert shame here- We are not perfect but the Lord thought you were strong enough to do this so keep your chin up! Much love!!
ReplyDelete